Forum Index

Socks, what else?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfram
Parlor Resident

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject: Socks, what else? Reply with quote

I started a sock. I know, I should finish the afghan and the scarf I am working on, but well, I kinda fell into it. the sock is going to be a tad wonky. I made some mistakes.

For the SSK on the heel turn, I slipped the stitches as to purl. I did this cause the instuctions int he book said to slip all stitches as to purl, but this is only for the heel flap, not for the decreases. I always make that mistake when I look at that instruction. I should make a note

The heel flap is 3 inches instead of 2.75. I don't know why it is like that. I looked at the instructions for a simular sock on the same needles, its using worsted, I am using sock yarn, and I did the same amount of turns. I was expection to be a tad short because of this, not bigger. I hope it works out.

Then for the 1st decrease for the gusset I did a SSK instead of k2tog.

None of them are huge mistakes, but that ever elusive perfectly knit sock eludes me still.
GrannieAnnie06
Crafter Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep plugging at it and you'll get there eventually...
Young Knitter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practise makes perfect, so they say. Wink

I'd made a couple of pairs of socks, and then decided to start one without having a pattern handy. It wasn't until I got to the end of it that I realised that I'd got all my decrease wrong, and SSK'd where I should have k2tog'd. Embarassed Nobody else would know, though, and I doubt they'll get close enough to study them anyway!!!

Parlor Resident

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the longer heel flap just gives you a bit more room at the gusset. No worries. Unless you have very small feet! Wink
None of those sound like noticeable mistakes. The galloping horse rule is a good one- especially with socks. Very Happy
Sounds like you're doing great to me!
wolfram
Parlor Resident

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know they are mistakes I can live with and only I will know. But going for perfection is what I want to do. Knida hard for a non-perfectionist. Sounds good in my head, but never turns out that way it seems.

I lost my other knitting book with instructions in it on socks. I know I have seen it sometime in the last week, but it is not where I would normaly put it. I was looking for it because there is a chart I believe on how long to knit until you do the toe decreases. It does shoe size and gives the inches. The one I am using has a simular chart, kinda, it does a range of shoe sizes and then a range of inches. I am kinda confident on how long it needs to be now. I remembered the 3/4 inche part but not the whole number of inches.
wolfram
Parlor Resident

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am at the toe decreases for the 2nd sock, which means I really need to get on the afghan. However I bought more sock yarn, I blame wool fumes. I also ordered some nice light blue yarn for a lacey scarf at the LYS. I blame color sumes for that. It is such a lovely shade of light blue. Think of the blue ice the fairies skate on in Fantasia. I still dont know what pattern I will do. It is for a present for my aunt. The LYS owner recomended a drop stitch scarf patteren that looks semi easy and realy neat.
Kathryn
Young Knitter

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you find your sock book?
Parlor Resident

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I did not find the other book. It is not a sock book per se, but one of the ones the Yarn Harlot wrote that goes over some patterns and things. It does have some nice basic easy to adapt patterns and some good info all in one spot. Like the chart on sock length, a chart on hat sizes for different people, a really nice chart that has US, MM and UK needle sizes. And I am sure a lot of other things I can not think of atm.
A_nony_mouse
Site Librarian

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you find your book. It does sound like one that would be useful to you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Socks..... All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: