Forum Index

Has anyone sold their dish cloths??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kidlets2
Parlor Resident

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Has anyone sold their dish cloths?? Reply with quote

A friend of a friend etc. (in other words, not a friend of mine or even a close friend of a friend) has asked if I would make a set of dish cloths for her to give as a gift to someone else. She wants to pay me for them, but I have no idea what to ask for. Has anyone tried selling their dish cloths and if so, at what price?

If I got the pattern off the internet, can I even sell them for a profit??
Holly
Old Knitter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the pattern says 'for personal use only'....then no for certain. If it doesn't....then I'm not sure. I mean some of these patterns have been around forever....can they ALL be copywrite protected? Plus, if you are concerned you can always just look in a pattern dictionary and pick a [attern to use.

As for $$$$$$........you will never be able to charge for your time....but, if you love to knit and want to do it, either ask her what it's worth to her or come up with a reasonable $ yourself.

Even though dish cloths are quick....you really can't charge a fair hourly amount or folks wouldn't find them affordable.

Other thoughts?????? Maybe I'm off the mark here?????
GrannieAnnie06
Crafter Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holly.. I need to correct you here... If a pattern says 'for personal use', you can't sell the pattern. There's no caveat as far as I know about selling the item made from that pattern. I've sold quilts made from commercial patterns for years. Before doing so, I checked with a friend of mine who is knowlegeable in the area of copyrighted patterns...

As far as price is concerned, double the cost of the materials, and then add a reasonable amount to cover your time... You're right about never being able to really charge for time... The dishcloths would be a couple of hundred dollars each...
Old Knitter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why they say, 'Two heads are better than one."
Very Happy
knittingmama
Green Thumb Knitter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will not be of any help, but my two cents is that you should do what GrannieAnnie said and look at the cost of dish cloths in stores, and charge about 15-20% over that because they are quality handmade items. I found out recently that I am selling my eggs for way too low a price. I still charge a dollar a dozen, and they are three dollars in the store!!! I had no idea that eggs had gotten so expensive!
odd duck
Kneedle Clicker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sell things occasionally and I always wonder what to charge...
the rule of thumb to double the cost of materials and then add a bit is a good one.
:)
Also if the dishcloth is in a more complicated pattern then charge a bit more.... They shouldn't get too expensive if you use Suger and Cream which is only $ 1.69 a ball!
knit along!
odd duck
A_nony_mouse
Site Librarian

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

knittingmama wrote:
This will not be of any help, but my two cents is that you should do what GrannieAnnie said and look at the cost of dish cloths in stores, and charge about 15-20% over that because they are quality handmade items. I found out recently that I am selling my eggs for way too low a price. I still charge a dollar a dozen, and they are three dollars in the store!!! I had no idea that eggs had gotten so expensive!

Knittingmama...the lady who sells eggs in our town did $1, then up to $1.25...and today, I noticed she is up to $1.50...so see what your market will bear...a little at a time.

And about the dishcloths...when you look at the price of the regular ones at the store, they are also pretty pricey...and handmade are better and prettier... Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Dish Cloths All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: