Forum Index

"upset...."
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
terry427
Parlor Resident

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: "upset...." Reply with quote

I just got myself started with dishcloths thanks to Holly's emial to begin a "drawer full of dishcloths." I really enjoyed making one, and one led to another, you know how that goes.....

My best friend is an avid knitter and crocheter, she does beautiful work. She works part time and has a lot of time to knit, plus she is a super fast knitter and crocheter, so she pops things out like crazy. A few times a year she makes me things (something in with my birthday gift, Christmas gift, etc) and I've made her things also. So I thought what a great idea it would be to make her a week's worth of dishcloths and expand the patterns a bit and make a matching dish towel for each cloth, too. I could give it to her for Christmas.

I happened to mention to her that I joined onto that drawer of dishcloths and she jumped in and told me she would NEVER use them, that she thinks they are a total waste of time! She said they are nothing but trouble to wash and dry and that she doesn't need to be bothered with them!

Obviously, I won't be choosing that project for her gift. However, I had thought about making something similar as a wishing well gift for a bridal shower, and also for office gifts. Now I am really hesitant.

What's been your experience with gifting dishcloths? And are they really that hard to take care of? It doesn't seem it, many cottons can now even be machine dryed, not only washed. I don't know, I had all these great presentation ideas, baskets with the cloths, a bottle of dish detergent, hand creams, bars of soap, etc., but now I'm really unsure what to do. I'm afraid my excitement with making them won't be so exciting on the receiving end!

What do you think? Confused
Kathryn
Young Knitter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry that you're feeling so disheartened by your friends comments. Sad

I'm planning on making wash cloths for my MIL and SIL for Christmas, and wrapping them up with a nice bar of soap. I haven't given any as gifts before, but I'm sure they'll appreciate the work that goes into them.

Parlor Resident

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Kathryn, I DO think they will make wonderful gifts and I'm sure that your MIL and SIL will love theirs. I guess I did just feel a bit like a popped balloon.

Terry
A_nony_mouse
Site Librarian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds to me like your friend is super picky...has never tried hanmade cloths, or is just a pain Wink

I recently introduced my daughter, LittleMouse (LM) to handmade cotton cloths. She is learning soapmaking and is now making cloths to go with it. She is sooo pleased with them. I have a feeling most of your giftees will appreciate them. They just need to realize that they are usable and not just a pretty. Very Happy
Holly
Old Knitter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry.... I use them all the time and I love them. Every morning I put out a fresh dish cloth and dish towel and put the ones from the previous day in a small basket in my laundry room. When I have enough for a load I throw them in with bleach and laundry soap and then through them in the washer. They could not be easier.....and so much more sanitary then sponges.

The bleach keeps them unstained and super clean and although some of my colored ones have paled a little it doesn't matter. Most of mine are white and after a year are still pristene.

Most folks love getting them as gifts.

Very Happy
Tay
Parlor Resident

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry, don't let one persons' opinion get in the way. I love using the cotton cloths but DH doesn't so depends on who does the dishes. I've given several, as gifts and they've always been well received (they make fantastic bridal shower gifts). My mom won't use anything but the cotton ones so I can always keep her in supply. Knit them and enjoy them.
terry427
Parlor Resident

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are great! Smile My friend IS kind of picky, very set in her ways, but I love her dearly and really thought they would make a lovely gift. I guess just not for her. I'm glad to hear they were an appreciated bridal shower gift, because I planned on that for someone else, and I guess I WILL go with them and hope they will be appreciated. The way I look at it is that ANY gift should be appreciated, especially a handmade one, and shame on the one who doesn't think so, right?! (and yet I worry when I'm the one doing the gifting)! Confused

Thanks to all of you I feel much better. Thanks for letting me vent and for being so supportive.
knitty, witty, woo
Parlor Resident

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This week I sent out to my Grandma for her birthday.....hand knitted socks, hand made necklace, hand knitted dishcloth and home made soap. She has just rung me to say thank-you and that she loved her gifts.
Make them and hope that people appreciate them.

Miles knitting socks on treadmill....14

http://traceyscrafts.blogspot.com
carold

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: upset Reply with quote

i sent my daughter, she is in her twenties, a pair of socks, a case for her cell phone, she is always dropping it into something, and a hat. they were all handknitted. she said it was wonderful. she just kept pulling things out of the bag. she said it was the best birthday ever. i have also knitted her dishcloths that she loves. just keep knitting and giving it is a great feeling and most people love it. carol
Brvfan
Honored Parlor Favorite

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my knitted dishcloths. I especially love the ones given to me from the swaps I have participated in here at KnittingHaven. Everytime I use one that someone has given me, I think of that person. I am making them for my 3 daughters for Christmas and I hope they think of me when they use them

DebbyK
KnittingDawn
Parlor Resident

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm the weird one out. I use what you call dish cloths as my Face Cloths and they're wonderful Exclamation I became so tired of buying Face Cloths from the store and have them come apart around the sides. Since I've been knitting them now no problem. The 100% cotton is fantastic. It holds up well. I usually make Cream, White and Blue colored ones.

My husband used to supposedly hate the Hand Knit ones until he really started using them and now they're the only ones he wants. The Bernat Cotton Tots is fantasticly soft.

http://community.webshots.com/user/dawnn53
A_nony_mouse
Site Librarian

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KnittingDawn wrote:
I guess I'm the weird one out. I use what you call dish cloths as my Face Cloths and they're wonderful Exclamation I became so tired of buying Face Cloths from the store and have them come apart around the sides. Since I've been knitting them now no problem. The 100% cotton is fantastic. It holds up well. I usually make Cream, White and Blue colored ones.

My husband used to supposedly hate the Hand Knit ones until he really started using them and now they're the only ones he wants. The Bernat Cotton Tots is fantasticly soft.

No, I make "face" cloths, too. Right now, I am knitting lavender, purple and two shades of yellow to go in the bathroom we are decorating with pansies. I am going to get an acrylic container and put them out for decor as well as use.
Kathryn
Young Knitter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm planning on making face cloths for MIL and SIL this Christmas. I'm going to wrap them with a nice soap.
Parlor Resident

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made Soap Sacks and Face Cloths for my daughter last Xmas. Soap Sacks with a little ribbon added are really great gift ideas.

Happy Knitting Very Happy

Lobug
Parlor Resident

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry,
I'm glad you're still planning on using the dishcloth/hand towel idea as a bridal gift. I think it is a beautiful idea. And most people really do enjoy and appreciate them (as everybody else has said too Smile ).

I actually use "dishcloths" as baby shower gifts. Peaches & Cream is 100% machine wash and dryable, and so soft and nice for a baby washcloth. They clean better than store-bought and are softer on baby's skin. Everybody I have made them for really liked them. In fact, some of my friends started making them, they liked it so much. Very Happy (Spreading the obsession!! Laughing )
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Dish Cloths All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: