Forum Index

Cottanade and Machine Washing?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kidlets2
Parlor Resident

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Cottanade and Machine Washing? Reply with quote

Last night I finished my first dishcloth (will post a pic later in the week!). I'm making a few to match placemats that I'm in the process of making as Christmas gifts. I read the label of the Cottanade and it says handwash only. Has anyone tried machine washing these? I'm making the placemats out of Sugar N Cream and would hate to have different washing instructions for each piece.

My plan is to print out a pretty tag with the washing instructions with the placemats and dishcloths bundled up and like I said above, I would really rather not have a different tag.
Audrey
Parlor Resident

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know this brand of yarn Kidlets2 but if the label says handwash only, I suppose machine washing it would not have good results. You can always knit a swatch and wash that to see how it reacts to machine washing.
elisjay
Parlor Resident

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you will find that if you put the dishcloth in the washing machine it will definitely shrink. Even on the coolest wash the same thing will happen.I cannot understand this as by handwashing you would definitely use warmer water than on the coolest mark in the machine but think it is something to do with the rinsing etc and the quick action in the machine. Crying or Very sad
terry427
Parlor Resident

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used Cottonade and I wondered the same thing, so I gave it a try. I put the cloth in a mesh bag and set my machine to its handwash cycle, the cloth came out just fine and there was minimal shrinkage. Since your machine may be different, though, I'd still knit up a swatch and see how it does before counting on it turning out the way you want it to. Good luck! Smile

Terry
kidlets2
Parlor Resident

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks...I'm a little nervous about it because it's so dark and I noticed the tips of my needles were blue from the yarn.

Maybe I'll keep it for myself and just see what happens. I'd hate to turn my wash blue too!
terry427
Parlor Resident

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh, I think I'd be afraid too if you're seeing color bleeding. I used white and the sage green and didn't see anything on my needles. Better to handwash separately and see what happens. Good luck!

Terry
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Dish Cloths All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: