Forum Index

Two at a time questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kathryn
Young Knitter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:10 am    Post subject: Two at a time questions Reply with quote

I tried my first pair of two at a time socks just before Christmas, and was quite happy with the way they worked out. However, I ended up getting myself a little tangled up, and at a couple of points ended up with 1 1/2 socks on one needle. Embarassed I'm working on a new pair of one at a time now, and wondering about how you go about starting two at a time on one long needle - the book that I have shows 2 circulars, and I can't quite visualise it on one.

I'm also curious if anybody has any tips for dividing the yarn into 2 separate balls.

Parlor Resident

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do two at a time toe up on one circular needle ala magic loop. I use Judy's magic cast on. You cast on for one sock, push that down, cast on for the other and you are good to go. Not one needle though, one circular, but using both needles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pmxRDZ-cwo

If you have a yardage counter you could use that to separate the yarn into equal balls. You might could weigh it as well.

Personally, I almost always buy two balls of yarn. I've seen folks use an inside and outside lead on one ball of yarn but I couldn't keep it straight.

I've just made it a habit that when I turn to do the other side I switch the yarns, right to left, left to right. Once your socks get big enough, use the sock as a holder for your yarn.
notkatehepburn
Parlor Resident

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For cuff down cast on for one circular needle, cast on half the stitches on what we'll call needle one, drop that yarn. Using your second yarn cast on all the stitches you'll need for the cast on also on needle one.

So you'll have all of sock one and half of sock two. Push them all towards the other needle. Find your half way mark on the stitches that you put all on. Pull the cord through.

You should now have sock one, with all the stitches on both needles, half on each. The half stitches of sock two should be pushed down onto needle two. You'll notice your yarn is to the right on those half stitches. You will be casting on using that yarn onto needle one. When you cast on the other half of the stitches you should have two cast ons, half the stitches on either needle and your working yarns should be on the left. You are ready to turn and begin knitting.

I know there is a video somewhere but I'm on my iPad and I couldn't find it.

I hope I was clear, if not ask me anything and I'll try to help.
GrannieAnnie06
Crafter Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I divide yarn, I do so by weight.. I have an inexpensive little kitchen scale that I use almost exclusively for weighing yarn/fiber.. So, I wind off 50g from a 100g skein into one ball.. and rewind the remainder into another ball..

If I'm not using a self patterning yarn.. I just work from both ends of the skein, and don't bother to divide it..
Crafter Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I can remember to do so.. I'll have to try that cast on with my next pair of socks..
Young Knitter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both. I need to invest in a long needle, but will try this out soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Socks..... All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: